We’ve been on a kale kick the past few weeks. Kale has been leaping into soups, salads and, today, into a savory pie that’s great for brunch or lunch or dinner. I saw a great recipe online at Serious Eats and tweaked it based on the contents of our fridge.
1 medium bunch of kale, thinly sliced (a chiffonade, if you prefer)… it comes out to about 6 tightly packed cups
2 cups bok choy, thinly chopped
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped herbs (I used parsley, thyme and chives)
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup non-fat yogurt
1/3 cup low fat ricotta cheese
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the kale in batches, adding more as it reduces. Cook until the kale is cooked through and fully reduced, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. While the kale is cooking, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, ricotta and mayonnaise. Now add the dry ingredients (baking powder, salt and flour) and whisk until well combined.
4. Pour half the batter into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spread the kale mixture over this. Sprinkle the crumbled hard boiled eggs over this. Top with the remaining batter, using a spatula to gently spread the batter until it covers the filling completely.
5. Bake in a 375F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm.